A STUDY OF IDENTIFICATION OF UNDESIRABLE BEHAVIOURS AMONGST STUDENTS AND STRATEGIES USED IN REMOVING IT: A PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.

Dr. I.B.S. Yadav

  

By Dr. I.B.S. Yadav:
Being worked as school teacher, head of the institution and teacher trainer, I have noticed a few students in my class who don’t pay much attention what I have been teaching them during my classes. At times I have thought of seriously about their behaviour. The students who do not pay much attention to the teacher have some undesirable behaviours. With their undesirable behaviours they can be easily identified. The following undesirable behaviours shown by the students has helped me to identify them easily in a conducive classroom environment:-

(i)                 Shy and self conscious behavior:- Shy individual has low self esteem and tends to anticipate adversities thus often remain silent and avoid eye contact.

(ii)               Fearful  behaviour:- Students sit alone in a room/classroom, hide from meeting students of higher classes.

(iii)             Emotionally disturbed behaviours: - Students show emotionally disturbed behaviours like weeping, quarrelling, nail biting thumb sucking etc.

(iv)              Sensitive behaviours: - Like getting hurt easily e.g. on being teased by peers, elders etc.

(v)                Feeling of inferiority complex: - Feeling of inferiority arising from the sense of imperfection and in completion of work.

(vi)              High aspiring behavior: - A student who hopes and aspire for high goal but failed to achieve this. He becomes unrealistic in life.

(vii)            Delusions behaviour: - A student who does not work hard for the final examination and thinks that it is the God only who can get him through the examination and he fails. This shows the delusion in him which makes him not pay much attention in the class.

(viii)          Anxious behaviour:-I have seen many students who were tense and worried and do not pay much attention during teaching-learning process.

(ix)              Aggressive behaviour:- Students showing aggressive behaviour do not pay much attention in the class room. The tendencies of dominating always disturb her /his brain and thus they are not able to pay much attention in the class.

(x)                Bad tempered outburst behaviour: - Sometimes if a student does not get fair treatment, sympathy, co-operation and freedom of action within reasonable limits by the teacher, the students get hurt and thus she/he was not able to pay attention in the classroom.

                                            The children /students showing above behaviours require special attention in the school in general and in the class room in particular. So, to motivate them and to pay more attention in my class, I have adapted the following strategies:-

(a)   I have asked these students to sit in front row in my subject class so that they can be under direct observation of me.

(b)   I have given them special care and always boosted their ego to overcome the feeling of isolation, inferiority complex. I called them to black board to write simple answer and acclaim for credible achievements.  I compensate them for their short comings.

(c)    To motivate the students of aggressive and hostile behaviours I have staged  and assisted plays , paintings ,talks  and shown  audio-video clippings related with my subject with aggressive students to overcome from repression and anxiety.


(d)   I have provided them full freedom with reasonable limits, gave them fair treatment, co-operation as much as I could so that bad tempered outburst behaviour can be checked and minimised.
 
(e)   For the removal of shy, earful and anxious behaviours, I facilitated and provided opportunities of free discussions on topics related to my subject by reading articles from magazines and newspapers like science Reporter, Times of India, The Telegraph etc as well as suggestions invited from the rest of the students of the class.

(f)     Excursion, visits, tours for the students were organized and ample opportunities were provided to shoulder various responsibilities of management, arrangement in order to overcome the emotionally disturbed and high aspirations behaviours.

(g)   The help of colleagues and talks by successful ex-students of the school and locality were solicited for motivating and providing psychological boost to these students.

(h)   I applied Law of Gradual Control on the learners in their learning process. It provided a learner control over time and the speed at which she/he could learn the material and to overcome the feeling of inferiority complex by completing her/his task assigned.

(i)     The teaching –learning process was strictly followed on the principle of teaching from simple to complex, familiar to unfamiliar concepts to enable the students to pay more attention in the class room.


The above strategies used by me were very helpful to motivate the students. The excursions, visits, tours highly motivated them and the first week after these exercises were very excellent. The students who were not paying more attention in my class, they started paying attention in my class. The counseling provided by my fellow colleagues and trained personnel from other educational agencies and talk by successful ex-students and successful persons from the locality had completely changed the classroom environment of my class and maximum learning was acquired by the students when their past results were compared with the present results.

 Through this study, I got an experience that many problems, which cannot be solved by an individual alone. Individuals need help of the trained persons for solving the emotional problems of the students.

 

Popular posts from this blog

PARAGLIDING: A NEW SPORT FOR ADVENTURE.

Indian women education: - A historical perspective

KITE FLYING IN SIKKIM: A LOST JOY