Giving wings to her dreams:Rinchen Doma Bhutia


Rinchen Doma Bhutia


With a rise in population, employment problem has been rising in the state rapidly. Running towards getting oneself employed in Government sector with a white collar job can be seen as a trend in the youth’s these days. With the rising employment crisis, youths are getting more inclined towards drugs abuse or any other activities, leaving negative impact on them and the society. The above theory, that many youths believe in and walk with it their entire life has been proven wrong by a girl from Sombaria, a small hamlet in West Sikkim. With an international achievement at a very young age of 23, she can be encouragement to many of the youths all over the nation.
Today we are here in a conversation with Miss RInchen Doma Bhutia, who recently has participated in the Pre Paragliding World Cup which took place in Bir Billing, Himachal Pradesh. Being the only female contestant to represent India, has been a matter of pride for the entire nation.

Common People Common Voice : So, Rinchen, how did you got into Paragliding?


  
Rinchen: It started back in the year 2007 when I got comparted in my class X board examination. I was quite desperate and thought I could not do well in my life. My mother runs a restaurant, so I used to help my mom in her business to pass my time. After few days, one of my relative Mr. S.B.Subba, who is a school teacher, approached my sister to take part in the selection process for paragliding training in a nearby village which was organized by the Sports & Youth Affairs Department, Government of Sikkim. So my sister approached me to take part in it. I was very excited; I have never seen a glider in my life. But the bad news came for me when I found out that the eligibility criteria to enroll was class X (Ten) passed. Desperate and hopeless as I was sitting, my uncle visited and handed me the form saying that you are allowed to enroll as there is a scarcity of female participants. Again another hindrance was my family. My brother did not permit me to go as he is a school teacher he insisted me to study further. It was one fine Sunday, I stole the enrollment form my brother, informed my mother and ran away towards training ground(laughs).


CPCV: So, did your mother permitted you to take part?


Rinchen: Yes of course, she is quite supportive.


CPCV: So, what happened in the field as you were totally new to paragliding, how did you caught up?


Rinchen: I was excited, I rushed towards the field. I was the last one to enroll. Everyone was practicing. I was very shy as I registered only on the second day. There has been quite improvement in other participants. The trainer asked me to start with the practice. The training session was very tough. I had to compete equally with other male participants. The field was quite small in size and the training gliders were very big. But later I learned that it was useful in days to come. With many falls and runs, I was improving every bit. Finally, 10 days of training was over.


CPCV: So, what after training?


Rinchen: After training, the officials from the department told that we will be selected to go Manali for our basic course. ‘Manali’ the name again thrilled me. It did not matter whether I will be selected or not, to get an opportunity to go Manali was the best thing I would have got.





CPCV: Were there any other female participants?


Rinchen: Yes there were and they were very good also. I wasn’t quite sure about my selection. There was a girl, Desh Maya, she was very good, but unfortunately she could not continue due to some illness. Then the interview session took place, my viva went well. Lastly it was decided that everyone will be taken to Manali.


CPCV: So after Manali, where was your career heading towards?


Rinchen: After my basic course in Manali, I had a very rough time getting into the right lane as no opportunities were being created. I was confused about taking it as a career. My parents felt quite in secured about me taking it as a career. So my mother insisted me to help with her business in restaurant, making ‘momo’.



CPCV: Looking forward to your life, now tell us about your experience in the recent competition?


Rinchen: Though I did not win the competition, it was a life time opportunity for me to participate. Having flied in Bir Billing, which is Asia’s No.1 and World’s 5th  Paragliding spot, has been a moment that anyone would cherish till eternity. Among five female participants from all over the world, I was the only one to represent India

CPCV: Any best moment and worst moment that you had during the competition?


Rinchen: Yes, I had both. Worst moment I experienced was when my glider collapsed. During my fly, when I reached the thermalling point, I could not handle the air pressure well and my glider collapsed. My glider started rotating like helicopter. I panicked a lot but I did not give up. I tried again, again the same thing. I learned that when we are in maximum height, and if our glider collapses it will come to normalcy after reaching its average level. It happened with me for the 4 consecutive times. Thanked god, nothing happened to me. I made a safe landing at last.

Now coming to my best moment, as I mentioned earlier, I did not won any position. I was presented with memento, as I was the lone female participant to compete representing India. Moreover flying at Bir Billing, 10-15 kilometer in sky is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Nevertheless, I survived and I am alive (laughs).



CPCV: What are the reactions now from your family?


Rinchen: Now my parents are happy with what I am doing. But when they see video footage of my, flying, they are really scared. Even my brother encourages me a lot these days.




CPCV: If one wants to take Paragliding as a career, how can they earn? What are the opportunities to do so?


Rinchen: Yes, there are various opportunities and ways of earning. If one goes to be a tandem pilot (commercial fly) one can earn in a good way. As for me, I am a solo pilot, which means I can compete in competitions, I may be called for demonstration, this way one can earn a good buck.




CPCV: What are the ways to become a good pilot? Any strategies you follow personally?



 Rinchen: to become a good pilot one has to listen to every detail that instructor gives. No matter you fly 1 flight or 5, you have to make sure you are technically correct and most importantly you are safe.

 CPCV: Other than Paragliding, any other interests?

Rinchen: Yes, I love to play badminton. In fact, I am a very good badminton player. I have played many events in schools and have gone up to district level. But unfortunately, due to lack of proper facilities in my place, I could not excel. Other than this, I love painting.



CPCV: Do you take any one as your idol, especially in Paragliding?


Rinchen: Bruce Mills, he is my idol. Other than a good pilot and an instructor, he is a wonderful human being. During my stay in Manali, I got many useful tips from him and inspired me a lot. Apart from Bruce Mills, Arjun Rai whom I address as Bubu (brother) is the one from Sikkim whom I take as an inspiration.



CPCV: Ok, so what are your future plans? How far will you take Paragliding?


Rinchen: Like every sporting person, I have a dream of taking my nation to international level. I want to make my state proud. I have also dreamt of becoming a tandem pilot one day. If it happens, I will be the only female to become so. And I would also like to start an institute of my own in days to come. Though it is a long way to go, I am determined of having my dreams fulfilled.




CPCV: Well it was wonderful talking with you Rinchen and thank you very much for sparing your time with us.


 Rinchen: Ok, you’re most welcome.

 Well readers, it was amazing talking with a brave lady and getting to know her better. We wish that all her dreams come true and hope that she will make India a proud nation one day. This is a clear message to youth’s to do something better with their life rather than being hopeless and complaining about their life. Where one being frustrated with their life, gets themselves involved in taking drugs and alcohol, Rinchen has proved that how one can cope with the situation and make better use of their lives.



Popular posts from this blog

PARAGLIDING: A NEW SPORT FOR ADVENTURE.

Indian women education: - A historical perspective

KITE FLYING IN SIKKIM: A LOST JOY